The Maharashtra politics potboiler is heating up by the minute with each Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray and insurgent minister Eknath Shinde concerned in an intense tug of warfare — the previous to retain the help of his MLAs to remain in energy and the latter to stroll previous the ‘magic quantity’ to keep away from the anti-defection regulation.
The scenario has the Shiv Sena’s companions within the Maha Vikas Aghadi — the Congress and the NCP —on their toes as effectively who’re consistently holding conferences amongst their leaders to guard their very own flocks.
CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST UPDATES ON THE MAHARASHTRA POLITICAL CRISIS
Right here’s how the disaster has panned out to date:
1. Eknath Shinde on Monday, June 20, went incommunicado with a number of Shiv Sena MLAs. They locked themselves in a resort in Gujarat’s Surat.
2. The event despatched the Shiv Sena right into a tizzy as social gathering chief and Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray moved to safe his remaining MLAs. Sena MP Sanjay Raut until Wednesday had been saying that the social gathering is in contact with Eknath Shinde and different insurgent MLAs and that they’d return to the social gathering.
ALSO READ | Maharashtra CM broke Covid protocols, met supporters: BJP’s Tajinder Bagga recordsdata criticism
3. Shinde, in the meantime, dismissed the declare, saying that he was in contact with nobody aside from the MLAs supporting.
4. With the Sena sending envoys to the Surat resort, Shinde on Wednesday moved all of the insurgent MLAs to a lodge 2,500 km away in Guwahati, Assam, one other BJP-ruled state. Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma was seen on the lodge simply earlier than the MLAs arrived round 7 am.
5. Shinde has asserted that he has the help of 42 of the Sena’s 55 MLAs. He wants the help of not less than 37 MLAs to keep away from the anti-defection regulation that requires him to have the help of not less than two-thirds of the social gathering MLAs. Defection is outlined as a “aware abandonment of allegiance or obligation”. On Wednesday night, 4 extra MLAs, together with two from the Shiv Sena, joined the Shinde camp. Three extra have been more likely to be part of the insurgent camp on Wednesday.
ALSO READ | Two hosts & two negotiators of ‘Operation Lotus’ in Maharashtra
6. Thackeray’s allies within the MVA, the Congress and the NCP, stated that they have been with the Sena but in addition asserted that the riot was the social gathering’s inner matter that it must resolve by itself. In addition they blamed the BJP for orchestrating the political disaster in Maharashtra in a bid to “usurp energy”.
7. Amid the disaster, the Sena sacked Eknath Shinde because the legislative social gathering chief on Tuesday. Nevertheless, since their riot, the Sena MLAs in Guwahati for the primary time wrote to Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari, asserting that Eknath Shinde was nonetheless the legislative social gathering chief.
8. With hypothesis rife that Uddhav Thackeray might resign, the CM on Wednesday stated that he’s able to give up as CM if that’s what the insurgent Shiv Sena MLAs need. “I’m making ready my resignation letter. Whoever has rebelled ought to come right here, take this letter and submit it to the Governor,” Thackeray stated.
ALSO READ | Can Governor dissolve Maharashtra Meeting amid political disaster? Authorized consultants weigh in
9. Hours after he supplied to resign as Maharashtra Chief Minister amid riot by Shiv Sena chief Eknath Shinde, Uddhav Thackeray right now vacated his official residence as lots of of social gathering staff raised slogans and showered petals. Uddhav Thackeray has now moved to his household residence Matoshree in suburban Bandra.
10. Early on Thursday, Eknath Shinde Appeared to have accomplished the variety of MLAs required to keep away from the anti-defection regulation as extra Shiv Sena MLAs have been seen to be checking in to the Guwahati lodge, Radisson Blu, the place the rebels are staying.
WHAT THE NUMBERS SAY
The overall energy of the Maharashtra Meeting is 287 and the required majority, within the occasion of a belief vote within the Home, is 144. The ruling coalition of Shiv Sena, NCP, and Congress has 169 seats. If the MLAs led by Shinde do resign, then the Maha Vikas Aghadi’s (MVA) energy will fall under the bulk mark, resulting in a doable collapse of the Uddhav Thackeray-led authorities.
The Shiv Sena has 55 MLAs and to invoke the anti-defection regulation, Uddhav Thackeray will want the help of not less than 37 MLAs.